As a freelancer writer/ designer/ creator, many of the times people start with positioning their work under a brand. Doing so has never been harmful, but building your personal brand with your enriched work will be more advantageous.
Here are 5 reasons why should you choose your name as a brand :
- You can evolve with your name as a brand. Imagine if you start now from the scratch with yourname.com and you start selling any thing, let’s say laptops.; fast forward 2 years, you may be with more than a million traffic knocking on your landing page. This time you can utilize the same brand to influence another customer segment, may be startups? Read how Gary V used to do a show where he drank wine and spat it out into a bucket. And now he is doing a question answer show about the world of entrepreneurship.
- You don’t have to re-brand yourself. You might would have heard of niche-marketing, niche-selling to narrow down your customer segment and sell to a specific group. In order to do the same, many of the time, you’ll have to create a new brand to address a new segment. While in your case where you use your personal brand, you can use your readers, listeners, followers gained from a long time to validate your selling proposal and build word of mouth.
- When you grow, your personal brand will grow. That would eventually open the door for another business, any new gig which you may would like to start at some point in near future. Growing another business with your personal brand will be a lot easier.
- If you’d like to opt in for full time job later, your personal brand will help in fetching a much senior position (irrespective of your age). Yes, it’s true. A lot of startups and companies are using intelligent tools to gauge the social networks and activities of potential candidates. The one who speaks a lot about his domain particularly stands out of the crowd.
- And, in case, if you’d like to opt in to develop a creative agency, people will still choose you over other businesses because these days business and product selling is relationship centric, which depends on human connection. You do business with people, businesses do selling with people. Every piece of article, design, product is consumed by people and sold by people.
Don’t wait for another advice : Keep hustling, keep building your personal brand and use that to build funnel of opportunities for you. Remember, it only stay with you!
If you wish to receive more valuable insights, you
may must opt in for our newsletter.
PS : I have written this article and I am using my personal branding as a writer here. See, I have connected with you and so you’re. Let’s connect over LinkedIn and let me know what do you think about this article.